Over the weekend, my husband threw me a surprise birthday party. My birthday was Wednesday so I wasn’t expecting anything, but I knew that something was going on. He made up a very silly story to cover up why he didn’t get me mug hooks one day when he went out to “get some fresh air”. He came back and I asked for my mug hooks and he said that Lowes had a hook shortage. LOL Of all places on earth to have a hook shortage.
He surprised me with a big party, my sister and the kiddos came all the way from 2 hours away, and this fabulous cake.
What do you think? Is that not so thoughtful and perfect? The penny idea was spot on. I reached over and pinched my penny…cake a few times.
One meal idea that I always know will be a winner on basically any night of the week is breakfast. I love to cook breakfast for dinner because I know that there will be absolutely no opposition to eggs, bacon, biscuits, cheese, and all of that yummy stuff. It’s so effortless to whip up and makes the house smell incredible.
I found this recipe over at Spark People and decided to add a little bacon to it. Because if you ask me, that was the only thing missing from it. I used turkey bacon as to not add too much more fat. It’s got about 207 calories per serving without the bacon and since I didn’t use that much bacon so I don’t think that it tainted the calories that much.
Believe me, you cannot tell that this dish is lower calorie. I mean just look at that. Having chicken in it makes more filling so you won’t have to feel as if you’re not providing enough substance if you make it for dinner.
My favorite part? It’s kinda like a crockpot meal. You put it all together in the morning (or the night before for breakfast or brunch) and let it set and get it’s yumminess on all day. Then when you’re ready to eat, pop it in the oven and bake it to perfection. Simple as pie!
And like I said, it makes my life easier when I know that everyone in my family will like it!
|Cheddar Bacon Chicken Strata|
- 10 Slices Whole Wheat Bread, Cubed
- 1 and 1/2 c. Fat Free Cheddar Cheese
- 1 and 1/2 c. Cooked Chicken, Cubed
- 8 Pieces Turkey Bacon, Crumbled
- 5 Egg Whites
- 2 c. Skim Milk
- Place half of bread cubes into bottom of a 9×13 greased dish. Add 1/2 of cubed chicken and half of turkey bacon. Top this layer with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Add other half of bread crumbs, chicken, and bacon.
- Beat eggs with the milk and evenly pour over to moisten. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.