When my hubby and I were dating, he wouldn’t eat anything but cheeseburgers.
Date nights with candlelit quarterpounders? Pretty much. He didn’t like anything green, and he especially didn’t like anything foreign.
That is, until you sit him down at a place called Benihana and feed him fried rice. It’s the one thing “foreign” that I could always count on him to eat.
Thankfully he has outgrown most of his picky pants stage and likes to eat a variety of things. But that fried rice is still the only thing he’ll order at a Thai, Chinese, or Japanese place.
I started making this rice soon after we got married for two specific reasons. I just remembered another, so there’s really three.
1) It’s easy. It’s not something you have to think too much about. Just throw it all together in a skillet and boom!
2) It’s really quick. No need to slave over the stove all night.
3) Hubby eats it. Reason enough for me!
This is the perfect meal or side dish to make with leftover rice. It’s best when the rice has been refrigerated and is cold. I have been known to make rice the night before just for this meal.
It really confuses my family.
And then they understand when we have this meal the next night!
I make this with whatever frozen veggies that I can find on sale. Fresh veggies? Of course you can use them, too! It’s such a versatile and easy thing. You can’t mess it up. The variety that I got had sugar snap peas, green beans, red peppers, celery, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, and onions in it.
Slap an egg in there with your cold rice and add some soy and teriyaki sauce and you have got a really tasty dish.
Here’s the way that I make it, but remember that you can add or take away whatever you’d like.
- 2 c. brown rice, cooked
- 1 (12 oz) bag of frozen veggies (stir fry mix is good)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet.
- Add frozen veggies and cook until softened.
- Add garlic and cook until browned.
- Add egg and cook combining into veggies.Then add the cold rice.
- Fry over high heat. Add soy and teriyaki. Add salt & pepper to taste.